Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
These are the top 6 items I have on my list when it comes to packing my car for a road trip (Obviously there are TONS more and I’ll do a full comprehensive post whenever I get more time, but this is a good start list!) With kids, a road trip isn’t as glamorous looking as it is on TV but you can still really have a great time if you put in the effort to pack effectively and wisely!
- Car Trash Can – An absolute necessity, that’s why it’s number one! Without a trash can your car will be the trash can and I promise it will drive you crazy, quickly. Make sure to clean your car out super well before you travel too, helps create the mindset that the car shouldn’t be made messy.
- Car Caddy – This specific one is technically meant for diapers but I love it. It’s sturdy, cute, and handy! Having a one spot, handled carrier for snacks, motion sickness meds, water, gum, etc is amazing. Instead of being that parent swerving all over the place because you’re trying to find and throw back the snacks to the screaming kids, you’ll have a handy handle (ha) that you can simply hand back and they can sort amongst themselves. Easy peasy!
- First Aid Kit – Maybe it’s the nurse in me (Cuz I literally have three bins in my trunk full of CPR masks, first aid, razor sharp shears, and more) but I couldn’t imagine not having an emergency first aid kit on hand. You never know what could happen on the road and you certainly don’t want to be unprepared for a medical emergency!
- LARQ bottle – I posted this in my last travel necessities guide because I find it so crucial for any situation. It uses UV-C lights to kill bacteria, it has the capabilities of even making stream water drinkable. The survivalist in me couldn’t iagine not having that on hand. Being that water is the most essential thing in life next to oxygen, I highly recommend grabbing one – Seriously!
- Travel Journal – They’ll get tired of their tablets and then, they’ll start telling you how boreeeed they are. So have other toys/books on hand! This one is great for being on the road. They can jot down their thoughts, play games and engage with their siblings using these journals and it’s really fun to see flourish.
- Steering Wheel Table/Desk – Work on the road? This desk is amazing for those last minute meetings that pop up or if you are just stopping to grab some fast food and have no where else to eat because your car is packed (literally, ha!) This is seriously one of my favorite things to hand on hand all the time, when the babies pass out on a drive I pull over, grab my iPad and do some work while they sleep so I don’t disturb their schedule – This thing rocks!
I’ll be doing some more, like I stated above, comprehensive guides in the future just really wanted to put these out there because it’s almost traveling/vacation season and I know so many families would benefit from these items! I know we do!
What other items are must haves in your family? I’m literally always looking for more ways to efficiently travel with three boys!